Old 14-06-2013, 10:08 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Tinley View Post
We have a self-set Mountain Ash in our urban front garden. I would say
it's been growing for about four to five years and is now about seven to
eight feet high. The nearest building is 30 feet away.

My intention is to let it grow as is but both my neighbour and window
cleaner say I should stake it as the wind will make it grow bendy
against the prevailing wind. We are far from exposed but when it is a
bit blustery the sapling does whip around.

My feeling is I shouldn't stake it and I've read two articles on-line
stating that staking is not required.

Does anyone have any opposite opinion?
My experience is that the main thing causing a permanent lean is growing it too close to another tree, so that it bends to seek the light. Yours is doing well - don't stake it - indeed, I'd be a bit worried that, if you were to stake it, it would not be able to flex in the wind and would therefore be more likely to break.