Old 25-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] Dirr, Michael A on the cheap

At 09:16 AM 4/25/03 -0400, David J. Bockman wrote:
I need to obtain Dirr's Manual of Woody... I'm wondering where in the past a
substantial change in the information therein woud preclude its usefullness,
i.e., would a copy from 1993 be at all useful as compared to more recent
printings?

Obviously, older editions are less expensive, so I'm hoping to save a few
dollars (starving student mode yet again in my life), but not at the cost of
pertinent info.

David

I am still using a 1987 edition and find it as helpful as ever. Where it is
going to fall behind is in the information for tissue culture
(micropropagation), since I am sure there have been great advances since
then. For cuttings and seed production, the information is still good,
however, the seed information was never great in the first place. For seed,
you really need Norman Deno's books. Grafting and cutting propagation
information from the original book is probably very little changed and is
the best part of the book in my opinion.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++