Old 15-06-2013, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Do I prune my zuke/cuke seedlings?

In article , Todd
wrote:

Hi All,

I have a black thumb. So if anything actually grows, I am tickled.
It hurts my heart to prune anything. But ...

This years in my garden, I planted both zucchini and Japanese cucumbers:
three seeds to a hole. To my "astonishment" ALL
three seeds now have seedlings. Big ones too!

Question for those wiser and with a green thumb: do I prune
the seedlings back to the largest one? Do I leave them
alone? Any words of wisdom?

If I prune, how do I do that? Just pull them up? Cut them with
scissors close to the ground so as to not disturb the remaining
one's roots?

Many thanks,
-T

Probably best to just keep your biggest plant. Cut or pinch. Do not
disturb roots.

OR (if you have the room)

Dig the whole damn thing up, hose the dirt off the roots, gently
separate the roots, and replant.

"There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments."
- Janet Kilburn Phillips
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/