Old 15-06-2013, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default Blueberries

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 20:05:20 +0200, David in Normandy wrote:

On 15/06/2013 19:30, RustyHinge wrote:
On 13/06/13 23:49, David in Normandy wrote:
I've spent the last couple of hours doing interactive tree
identification and the closest match so far is a goat willow - Salix
caprea. Though the underside of the leaves isn't silver nor furry. The
female catkins are a perfect match though. The leaf shape is a match
too.

Perfect match for what?

The catkins on my "blueberry" are a perfect match to those of the goat
willow. The tree is now history, having been identified as a goat willow
not a blueberry - I was sold a "cuckoo" 7 years ago, it is now cut up
into logs and the rest of it is in a big heap ready for burning.
The leaves of the goat willow bore a striking resemblance to the leaves
of the blueberry as shown on the label that came with the plant, so the
young plant was likely misidentified at the plant nursery from whence it
originated. The tree had grown a lot over the last 7 years under my care
and nurturing. I estimate it was around 15 feet tall when I cut it down
yesterday!

:-)

Just trying to visualise a 15' blueberry tree in full fruit.

Ah, well, at least you have some logs.

It also goes to show what strange results you can get from Google.

Are you going to buy a blueberry bush or two to replace it?

Cheers

Dave R