Old 16-06-2013, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RustyHinge RustyHinge is offline

Default Lonicera etrusca R.I.P.

On 15/06/13 13:38, wrote:
I got some seed when on holiday in Crete, and have finally given
up on it (after about a decade!) It grows and is lovely in flower,
but I have got it to do that ONCE - every other year, aphids stop
the flowers and shoots developing. Perhaps I would have more if
I sprayed heavily with the nastiest sort of persistant insecticide,
but I don't want to do that. Merely spraying to eliminate the
worst of the aphids doesn't help.

DDT?

D&RFC

Heaven alone knows why. L. x tellmanniana was as bad when it
didn't get significant sun, but it (and this) get a fair amount
of sun - and it is only L. etrusca that is hopeless.

I expect to be carted off by ECops for suggesting this, but boil some
rhubarb leaves, add a little washing-up liquid to the wort, and spray
with that.

--
Rusty Hinge