Old 17-06-2013, 03:42 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codster View Post
Hi, I have an area at the back of the house that does not get any sun and feels quite cold and damp with moss thriving on the concrete. So I was looking for an alternative way of brightening it up with some container plants rather than digging it up. Though this could be the way forward dependant on replies.

Is there a good selection of plants available for containers that would do well in this type of environment or is the option to bleed some sweat and dig the concrete up for better plants? The area is approximately 8'x8'.

If I was to dig this area up, I would need plants that wouldn't have invasive rooting system to threaten the wall structure of the house.

I have only really started getting green fingers and just managed to fill most of the borders at the front with plants, so my knowledge is limited to choosing the right plants for the right environment.
A lot of plants can be planted in containers if they don't grow too large. Conversely, a lot of plants sold for containers are tolerant of sunshine and drought because this is what they'll get on more people's patios. So "container plants" as such are probably not what you're looking for.

If nothing else, the yellow welsh poppy Mecanopsis cambrica tolerates a good deal of shade - I have it growing in the join between tarmac and wall in the narrow lane alongside my house.