Old 17-06-2013, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brassicas

On 16/06/2013 23:51, Roger Tonkin wrote:
I started my brassicas in tray this year, rather than
risking the slug/pigeons/mice etc in the garden. I
used a bag of Levington Multi-pupose bought last year,
but unopened.

Seeds germinated fine and started to grow well, then
the seed leaves dropped and the first pair of true
leaves started turning yellow/red/purle, whilst growth
seemed to stop. Planted them out in the garden, and
they now have regained their normal green colour and
are growing on well.

I suspect hat there was something lacking in the
compost, no idea what or why.

Any one any ideas please?

Sounds like too much watering (yellow leaves) followed by too little
(purple leaves)? A smattering of multi purpose fertiliser tends to
invigorate them when the seedlings are a couple of inches high.

--
David in Normandy.