Old 19-06-2013, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Should I support my sapling Rowan with a stake?

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:56:23 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

Depends how you stake it. One way is with a diagonal stake and a longish
rubber tie wrap a couple of feet off the ground. Basically limiting how
much it can move but still allowing flexure.

Single stakes get pulled over by the tree up here. But yes a simple
flexable support with give a few feet above ground is good. Old
tights are a good tie, fairly strong have give, last a couple of
years.

In my garden newly planted anything taller than 2' has to be staked or
it will blow away. I once lost a 3x2' cloche in a storm. Never found it!

The 6 x 8 shed gets blown away up here. B-) Or did until I used
plenty of metal plates to strap the roof frame to the wall frames and
drove stakes in at each corner as far as I could (18" or so) and
bolted them to the wall frames.

I might get a bit of video of a normalish windy day and pop it on
YouTube. Doubt it will be today, nice and bright, warm and fairly
still as the thermals haven't really started yet.

--
Cheers
Dave.