Old 19-06-2013, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Ground Elder removing!

On 19/06/2013 05:56, Mick wrote:
Hi all,
In my small front garden in South UK, despite deep digging and
removing it before planting new shrubs etc there is ground elder
shooting up.

Shame you didn't hit it with glyphosate a couple of weeks before digging
it out - you would have saved a some work. You can't kill it in a single
go unless you sieved the soil but you can severely weaken it.

The roots are thick and hold a lot of stored energy so you have to
persecute it mercilessly to get rid.

I try and dig down each time and remove the root as far as I can.

You only need to leave the tiniest piece and you have a new plant.
Digging also disturbs whatever you have planted there.

Will this weaken it over time or should I use a week killer that is
painted on the leaves? if so which one?
Mick.

Whatever you have going at the time and never let it have green leaves
in the sun without either hitting it with a weedkiller or digging it
out. If you have already hit it with half strength glyphosate then any
small bits of root that you miss will be less likely to regrow.

Combined physical and chemical attack will get it fairly rapidly as will
a lawn mower close crop used weekly in grass.

It requires tremendous dedication to eliminate the stuff entirely when
your garden backs on to a farmers field full of the stuff.

I have a modified golden syrup bottle loaded with glyphosate for spot
weeding in and amongst shrubs although it is the bindweed that gives me
the biggest headache rather than the ground elder.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown