Old 19-06-2013, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bud drop on Holboellia

"Sacha" wrote in message
We've had a letter from a frequent visitor to the nursery who lives in
Wisbech. She says that some years ago they bought a Holboellia and that
it's a vigorous and healthy plant. She couldn't remember the name but
thought it was a jasmine and wrote to us asking for the ID. As a PS, she
said that it forms buds beautifully but then they fall off. She thinks
it's because of the cold but as it forms buds and the plant itself is
unscathed, we suspect it's because it's too dry. But we wondered if
anyone else in that area has experience of this problem with a Holboellia?

I suppose it could be a late frost that's hitting it but again, the leaves
appear not to be touched at all. We've suggested that she gives it a good
drink in dry spells and particularly if it's in the rain shadow of the
house. If anyone else living 'up there' has any experience of this, we'd
love to hear about it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

If frosted the buds turn black before dropping off, its usually very drought
tolerant so I would be surprised if it was that, cold damage sounds more
likely, its better when we have very cold winters as it holds flowering
back, mild years like this year it flowers early and I lost a lot of flower
buds in March frosts, happily this year the plants have tried again and I
have a lot of flower at the moment.

PS I normally find the female flowers are weeks later than the males, which
has always struck me as odd

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs