Old 25-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Bernard Golden

Default Help. I am a flax killer!

I live in Silicon Valley and it's been down in the 40s, if not 30s this past
couple of weeks, so perhaps I need to try a new batch of seedlings and put
them out later. I've gotten spoiled living here, where everything seems to
be ok year-round, not like other places. My cousin lives outside of Chicago
and we were talking about planting annual flowers and he said, 'I usually
put them out around May 10, when I can be sure we're past the last frost of
the year'. I shivered just hearing that!

Bernard

"SugarChile" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Basil, especially seedlings, is very intolerant of cold temperatures. You
don't say where you live, but if your nighttime temperatures have even a
chance of falling below 50F., it's too early for basil. I have some in

pots
I put out on sunny days, but bring in at night, and I won't plant it out

for
weeks to come, and I'll harden them off before I do. I'm not sure why I
bother, except for the pleasure of watching them grow, because direct
seeding in the garden once the soil warms up will give me plants big

enough
to pick from at about the same time the transplants get going.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

On another subject, I got some basil going and transplanted the plants
outside at about 3". The leaves immediately started turning yellow and

then
black and the plants died. Can anyone give me an idea of what might

have
caused this?

I have had success with starting other plants from seed and

transplanting
them, so it must be something specific to these two.

TIA

Bernard Golden