Old 25-04-2003, 05:44 PM
paghat

Default Non-toxic preservative for wood in raised beds

In article , wrote:

I am looking for a practical way to prolong the life
of the wood frame in the raise beds I will start building
pretty soon.

The most practical way I know is to build your raised beds with
concrete blocks instead of wood.

AND could even be so much prettier if done with a ring or square of
somewhat fancier wall-bricks.

But my Thai mom Lek built miniature raised beds with irrigation ditches
defining them rather than barriers, & this is the normal method in most of
Asia. A raised bed doesn't NEED to have a walled barrier to remain raised.

-paghat the ratgirl

If there's a place near you that manufactures them, you can get
"seconds" (which are not good enough to use in buildings but are just
fine for raised beds) for very little money.

Mine is two "courses" (blocks) high. The soil in it is about 1.5
blocks high. Very convenient. I can sit on the walls while I work on
the beds.

vince norris

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: