Old 22-06-2013, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Rosemary Beetle

On 22/06/2013 18:14, Jake wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 17:58:18 +0100, wrote:

Alas, we have. Squished! Not that I'm very precious about lillies. I
do love them, but they're cat killers so I can't take the risk with my
cats. My few lillies are in pots where the cats can't get to them.

The main risk to cats being pollen, I nip out the anthers (just hold a
container underneath and snip them off into it). This has the added
benefit of prolonging flowering. I don't think the absence of the
reproductive bits makes the flowers look bad. There are also
"cat-friendly" lilies available (J Parkers sell them) which do not
produce pollen at all.

Thanks, Jake. I know I could do that but, for me, the anthers are
attractive and very much part of the lily. I also know there are
double-flowered lilies which *ought* to be safe as they have no anthers.

The real complication is that one of my cats thinks she's a caterpillar.
She goes around the garden chewing plants. With Lilies, she couldn't
learn from her mistake. She'd have an awful, lingering death. I'd
rather live without lilies. Thanks for the thought, tho'.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London