Old 23-06-2013, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Polycarbonate greenhouse advice

"Howzit_China" wrote
Bob Hobden;985645 Wrote:

I built my own greenhouse glazed with twin walled polycarbonate roof and

acrylic glazed sides. What I have found is that some plants seem to
elongate
as if fighting for light (eg. tomatoes) whilst others don't seem to have
any
problems (eg. cacti & orchids).
The main problem is the dampness and humidity of the greenhouse rotting
the
wood as the condensation always drips down towards the ground rotting
the
wood from the bottom. Also a problem where any sloping roof meets wood
inside the house.

Yes rotting is a big concern. The best I can do is give the wood a
couple of layers treatment. I am thinking of coating the base in tar
(don't know where I got that idea but sounds like a good one). Not sure
what else I can do.

Are you saying where sloping roof meets wood is prone to rotting? I was
thinking maybe it would be a good idea to have rubber spacers at
intervals so the poly never actually touches the wood.

What happens when it's cold is that condensation slides down the sloping
roof inside onto the wood where it sits and rots the wood. Probably only a
problem if you intend to heat your greenhouse in the winter as I do. I gave
my wood three coats of Sadlin but still in places it rotted after time
requiring a refurb. The glazing at the bottom now sits on plastic embedded
in cement and the legs are held by metal brackets also embedded in the
cement capping. If I made it again I would be even more careful to ensure it
could be taken apart again and mended, wood replaced, as required.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.