Old 23-06-2013, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Rosemary Beetle

On 2013-06-23 11:29:24 +0100, Spider said:

On 23/06/2013 08:54, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 18:22:37 +0100, wrote:

On 22/06/2013 18:14, Jake wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 17:58:18 +0100,
wrote:

Alas, we have. Squished! Not that I'm very precious about
lillies. I
do love them, but they're cat killers so I can't take the risk
with my
cats. My few lillies are in pots where the cats can't get to them.

The main risk to cats being pollen, I nip out the anthers (just
hold a
container underneath and snip them off into it). This has the added
benefit of prolonging flowering. I don't think the absence of the
reproductive bits makes the flowers look bad. There are also
"cat-friendly" lilies available (J Parkers sell them) which do not
produce pollen at all.

Thanks, Jake. I know I could do that but, for me, the anthers are
attractive and very much part of the lily. I also know there are
double-flowered lilies which *ought* to be safe as they have no
anthers.

The real complication is that one of my cats thinks she's a
caterpillar.
She goes around the garden chewing plants.

All our cats have done that. It happens when they want to make
themselves sick.

Yes, I know all about cat sick, Martin; I have a serial vomiter :~(.
Most cats, however, chose to eat grass (even the decorative kinds),
but Panther likes to chew leaves on my favourite rose, a deutzia,
comfrey and others. I frequently have to tell her to leave a poisonous
plant alone. I can't risk her even trying lily flavour.

Is the other cat called Aga? ;-) To be serious, this cat does sound a
worry! Is this sort of thing a common trait in cats? We're a 'dog
family', so I know little about aberrational cat behaviour!

:~))! No, she's called Cheetah. She's the puker in the family. All
cats need to vomit hairballs from time to time, but Cheetah does have
a bit of a problem with it. She's otherwise very well, but as a
Torteshell cat she's naturally a bit neurotic. I don't have a problem
cleaning up after her. In fact, I praise her if she's got rid of lots
of hair. Richard finds it hard to live with, not least the fact that I
examine the fallout for signs of hair or other ejected items.

Yeeeessss. On balance, Richard has my sympathy there!

We have a special name for this puke: it is called an 'angel'. This
stems from the fact that I was dotty about Phantom of the Opera, in
which there is a song "The Angel of Music" ... or the angel of mew
sick!! :~)). Ged it?! It's certainly nicer when one has company to say
"there's an angel in the kitchen". Indeed, a friend of mine thought it
was great and has adopted the expression.

I know a dog-breeder who used to call her daily poop=-scoop, a 'treasure
hunt'. I can't say it fooled anyone but then neither did it scare them
s***less!! ;-) I do wonder what your friends think when you announce
your kitchen is subject to heavenly visitations! ;-)

They are somewhat non-plussed until they hear the explanation. Just as
well they're good friends :~).

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London