Old 23-06-2013, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Polycarbonate greenhouse advice

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 20:29:56 +0200, Howzit_China
wrote:

Great thanks for all the responses.

Maybe I would be better off getting a blow away, especially if rot
becomes a serious problem, I will do some further cost benefit analysis.

I think the main thing to decide on before continuing is the
design/dimensions before dealing with ventilation and rot prevention.

As two posters have mentioned the height I have been giving this some
thought, I don't want to upset my neighbour by going too high above the
fence so what I could do is raise the height to 170cm, and dig down 30cm
into the ground giving a highest point of 200cm.

To be honest I didn't envisage myself spending too much time in the
greenhouse but I guess if I am going to go through the effort I might as
well do it properly.

Photo of the plot attached, taken 20 mins ago. There is just lawn in
front of the plot, It is West facing and gets sun approx 12:30 to 18:00

|Filename: Hounslow-20130623-00166.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15657|

OK. You want to fit something into something. And to do that you want
to make a lot of work for yourself.

First question. Think carefully again what you want to do with
whatever it is you end up with. The fence supports are on your side so
you might assume that the fence is "yours". Check the deeds. If it is
then you can use it as the "back" of something. However if it is a
"joint" fence then you cannot without your neighbours' permission. In
any event, that fence will have a lifespan and if not treated that
lifespan will be shorter! If the posts are simply concreted into the
ground, count 10 years (max) from the time the fence was built to the
time the whole structure needs replacing.

Essentially, don't attach anything to the fence.

Look at something like this:

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co....zed-Greenhouse

Will probably work out the same cost at the end of the day. Is easy to
assemble, place, shift when needed. The shelves can be used or
removed. So you can, say, use it for tomatoes or smaller stuff. There
are other variants around if you look. I have two similar things which
serve happily as over-wintering locations for tender stuff, growing on
locations for summer bedding, tomato growing, autumn bedding growing
....... Damned useful for storing dirty pots until I get round to
washing them too!

--
Cheers, Jake