Old 24-06-2013, 06:55 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens
Danny D.[_5_] Danny D.[_5_] is offline

Default Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tallgangly plant

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 16:01:07 -0700, David E. Ross wrote:

Wild mustard is found extensively in California

This description seems apropos:
http://www.pennilessparenting.com/20...aged-food.html

Clearly there are yellow flowers atop a stem.

I'll look in the morning to see if they're in groups of 4 petals.
And, I'll look closer to see if they're not veined.

I didn't see any broccoli-like florets; but the leaves did radiate in a rosette.

Apparently I can cook and eat the leaves, and I can make a mustard spread
out of the flower petals.

According to this article, it was brought to the Americas in the 1700s:
http://www.eattheweeds.com/cutting-t...ica-sinapis-2/

Apparently all parts of the plant are edible.

This article points out that the hairs on the stem make it "wild mustard":
http://en.heilkraeuter.net/herbs/wild-mustard.htm

I'll look for 4 long stamens and 2 short stamens and 1 pistil on the flowers:
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...cts/03-043.htm