Old 24-06-2013, 05:17 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
Kay, I grow vegetables not for cheapness, but for the taste. It often
costs me more to grow them than to buy them. And I always, always feed
them.
It is the pests and diseases IMO that costs money to get rid of.
The cost of packet of seed is a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of
compost, manure, tools, netting, chemicals, and the hours of weeding,
digging and actually sowing then cropping.
After all that, I still love my veg. garden and allotment.
Interesting, because one of the reasons I appreciate my own vegetables (in common with a lot of people) is that they haven't come into contact with pesticides - I wouldn't go to the effort of growing my own veg and then spray them with something.

I don't have an allotment, and most of my garden is shaded. So, since I have only limited growing space, it makes more sense for me, all other things being equal, to grow the expensive or difficult to get hold of part of my diet, and buy the cheaper or easier to source part.