Old 24-06-2013, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl is offline

Default Squash plants

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl
wrote:

I've got a squash plant that is growing pretty well, and it has some
pattapan squash fruit on it. I've noticed that during the part of
the day that it gets the full hot sun that it wilts back, but when
it gets the afternoon shade it perks back up again. I haven't seen
any borer holes in the vine stems, either, and I've sprayed it with
BT in case some worms do get to munching on it.

Is it normal for squash plants to wilt like that during the hot part
of the day? It doesn't lack for being watered, either.

If you are watering (irrigating) rather than just "there's plenty of
water available" you could potentially set up mist nozzles and give
the a shot of mist every once in a while through the hot part of the
day. It will waste a considerable portion of the water to
evaporation, but it will also provide some direct to the leaves.

Plus, mist nozzles are the neatest thing ever, and the plastic ones
are quite cheap. Naan, for instance.

Shading (mentioned in previous post) will be more water-efficient.

hmmm that's a good idea... thanks.

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\