Old 25-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Shelly Hurd

Default [IBC] soil

Colin,

This point of Billy's is exactly why I don't get into the -what kind of soil
should I use- subjects unless the question comes from this valley. You
pretty much have to know your own schedule (watering wise) and climate to
get your soil right. What works for me here, might not work for you. Find
some locals and see what is working for them (and yes, they will all
probably use a slightly different mix, and swear by it) and decide for
yourself which will best suit you and your trees. Soil really is a personal
thing. :-)
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

"Billy M. Rhodes" wrote:

Colin writes:
I am still trying to simplify the what seems to be complicated concept

of
soil. Would it be true if I were to say that in every soil mixture,

there
needs to be some kind of grit, for good drainage, mixed with some sort

of
organic OR inorganic soil for water retention?

"Billy replies:
Your basic understanding is correct.

SNIP TO THE POINT I'M REFERRING TO:

4. Your climate and weather conditions must be considered when you
think about how to care for your trees. The hotter, dry areas of

California
will need a different soil than the wetter, cooler areas.