Old 25-06-2013, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tallgangly plant

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:01:44 -0500, "Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl"
wrote:

I'm pretty sure that plant isn't poke salad.

Have you ever eaten it cooked? My grandma used to cook it for us all the
time and taught me how. You pull the leaves off the plant .. medium to
smaller leaves are more tender, and then you boil them like you would
spinach leaves 'til they are tender. After that you drain the boiled leaves
and squeeze all the water out of the leaves you can get to come out of them.
Next you add some oil to a frying pan, and break up the boiled leaves into
the hot grease. Break 2 or 3 fresh eggs over the poke in the hot grease and
stir fry the eggs with the poke. Add a bit of salt to taste while it's
cooking. MMMMMMMmmm!!

we meet again (g) I'm posting from AHR

Never recall eating poke salad. I'm a collard, mustard green and
turnip green person. I can only imagine that ancestors may have
gathered poke salad, cooked and ate it.

My grandfather grew greens in his garden. Tender leaves are the best.

That doesn't look anything like pokeweed. It does look kind of like a
noxious weed called "garlic mustard", except that has white flowers.

Might be Indian mustard, or wild turnip, or wild rapeseed:
http://www.cals.uidaho.edu/edComm/pdf/WREP/WREP0143.pdf

Bob