Old 25-06-2013, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default One of the Great Mysteries

wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 18:46:06 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Why does the sun *always* come out, if it's going to emerge at all,
just after we shut on a dreary, grey day?! ;-)

Possibly for the same reason that it is often sunny just after dawn
and you get your hopes raised that it is going to be a bright day.
The sun which has been peeping over the horizon and illuminating your
location from a low level then rises above the clouds and is obscured
for the day until it sinks low enough to shine below the clouds for a
short time before it sets.

If we had a flat earth, that explanation would work. As it is,
that theory only seems to be valid if the clouds are above you,
but it is clear in the distance. The question then becomes - why
is that so.

If there is full cloud cover, light from the low sun, being at a
shallow angle, would actually have to make its way through the
clouds along a much longer path

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK