Old 25-06-2013, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Cos lettuce - outer leaves and hearts

kay wrote in
:

'Baz[_3_ Wrote:
;985761']
Kay, I grow vegetables not for cheapness, but for the taste. It often
costs me more to grow them than to buy them. And I always, always feed
them.
It is the pests and diseases IMO that costs money to get rid of.
The cost of packet of seed is a drop in the ocean compared to the cost
of
compost, manure, tools, netting, chemicals, and the hours of weeding,
digging and actually sowing then cropping.
After all that, I still love my veg. garden and allotment.

Interesting, because one of the reasons I appreciate my own vegetables
(in common with a lot of people) is that they haven't come into contact
with pesticides - I wouldn't go to the effort of growing my own veg and
then spray them with something.

I never mentioned pesticides, but I would use them if I had to. The effort
to grow them and after that, seeing them with a pest or two promps me. Veg.
or no veg. Spray or not to spray. Without my chemicals I would be shopping
in a supermarket for bland, tasteless crappy produce.

I don't have an allotment, and most of my garden is shaded. So, since I
have only limited growing space, it makes more sense for me, all other
things being equal, to grow the expensive or difficult to get hold of
part of my diet, and buy the cheaper or easier to source part.

Yes, expensive plants are much cheaper to grow at the home garden. And
since most of your garden is shaded I don't think you can grow them.

I wouldn't go to the effort of growing my own veg and
then spray them with something.
Why not?

Baz