Old 25-06-2013, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Onions

On 24/06/2013 23:44, Christina Websell wrote:
I went down the village to my veggie plot today to plant my beans out and if
I didn't know that no-one can get in, I'd have said they'd been vandalised.
Almost all the leaves have been snapped off and are lying around but I guess
it was the huge winds we had yesterday, all day.
My question is, can they recover?

Tina

My onions have never blown over; however, my mange-tout peas are now
leaning somewhat after the wind, but they were around 5 feet tall and
the 4 feet pea-sticks were somewhat overwhelmed by them. My runner beans
are fine on their wigwams, but it would take a tornado to blow them over
at the moment as they are only half way up the poles... different matter
later in the season though when they make quite a solid wind-break - a
good storm can and has knocked them over in the past.

--
David in Normandy.