Old 25-06-2013, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Bees

On 2013-06-25 17:28:04 +0100, Emery Davis said:

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 14:49:22 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I wonder if the cold weather is somehow depressing the population.
Bumblebees do start very early and don't seem to be too bothered by the
cold...

On a sunny day in January bumblebees work hard! If people haven't
already got it, we recommend Eupatorium atropurpureum. It's a total
magnet to pollinating insects.

Exactly! They're very cheery companions while we're out slogging away
with early spring cutting back and clearing out. I felt bad for them
this year though, flowers seem few and late. The Weigela coraeensis is
just coming into bloom now, it's already about 2 m tall after 2 years! It
was full of bumbles this WE, and looks fantastic next to a Kolkwitzia
'Pink Cloud' (also not yet full out).

They love the Weigela and in the nicest possible sense, ours are full
of little furry backsides at present!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com