Old 26-06-2013, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default 5 Ways to Fix a Kink in a Hose

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:04:52 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

Higgs Boson said:

WHATTTTT! Lead in a garden hose? Why would they use lead? What
function could it have in a rubber (or plastic) hose? Straight question!

Yep. Most often from cheap brass fittings but it is also used as a 'stabilizer'
in the plastic, to protect it from weathering. Water that has been sitting in
the hose since its last use can have quite high levels of lead. Fresh water
flowing though it, not so much.

Also, phthlalates and BPA (plasticizers) can be present in high amounts in
any PVC hose (even those labeled lead free). Again, highest concentrations
are in water that has been sitting in the hose for a while.

So, best practice is to drain your hose after use. Letting it run a bit to flush
out any 'stagnant' water before using it is also recommended. Storing it out
of the sun is also a good idea.

So my mother was right, all those years ago: don't drink water right out of
the hose. Though her explanation was that we could get 'trench mouth'
from the dirty water sitting in the hose.

It's unwise to consume water from general purpose garden hose... the
major hose manufacturers produce hoses especially designated for
potable water; used on RVs, boats, etc. Such hoses are easily
identifiable because they are typically blue or white and marked
"Potable".
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...atalogId=10053
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-10-F...-Hose/14504300