Old 25-04-2003, 06:20 PM
~ jan

Default plants on milk crates

On 13 Apr 2003 20:34:35 -0700, (Dennis) wrote:

Then, we plan to wire each plant pot to a milk crate (or two crates
wired together for more shallow placement of a given plant) and set
the crate(s) on the flat bottom. Can anyone see any potential
problems with this approach? It seems to give us much more
flexibility in plant placement, but we're concerned that maybe we are
missing something???? One concern is that our koi may get caught in
the openings to the crate (like a gill net).

It can happen. It happened to me when we had rain and the water surface
went over the top of the crate I was holding anacharis in, away from the
koi. Koi swam over, ate the anacharis and tried to swim thru the holes, got
stuck fast, died from the injuries. Another koi, same size even tried to
swim into it thru the holes and though it didn't get stuck, it did cause
injuries to its scales on each side.

I'd cut some larger openings, as others have suggested, to be on the safe
side. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~