Old 26-06-2013, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default New garden bed

In article
F Murtz writes:
Can I mix grass killed a month ago with roundup into soil With tiller.

You'll get mixed (and passioned) answers there.

You can do so, in the sense that the residue in the soil will not
act as RoundUp does on your future plantings. RoundUp is absorbed
by the leaves, not the roots.

There is lots of discussion of the safety of that in-soil residue.
I can't address that, except to share my perspective that the
available data is for agricultural levels of use, not gardener
levels of use.

What to do with fresh sawdust, I have a lot, if it can not be used fresh
how do you rot it quickest.

I've put it in the compost pile, but I don't have large amounts.

Whether it is good to mix in fresh will depend a lot on what sort
of wood it was from. It is certainly good for breaking up clay,
but may skew your nitrogen needs.

If the new bed has 6" of green grass on it do I mow it first and remove
or just run the cultivator tiller over the lot (and the aforementioned
roundupped dead grass from elsewhere.Or roundup the new bed, wait a week
or two then cultivate ?

As I recall, the RoundUp label has instructions for most of that.
It is absorbed by the leaves, so you don't want to mow before
spraying (more leaf area is better). I forget the time suggestion,
which is given assuming you are killing an old lawn and planting a
new one. I assume that the same time should hold for planting a
garden.

My tilling experience is limited, and I've never tilled tall grass,
so I have no advice there.

Now there is a muddled bunch of questions.

FYI, both "RoundUp" and "tiller" are holy war issues for some who
wander in and out of this group. If any response seems surprisingly
harsh, that could be why.

--
Drew Lawson | Pass the tea and sympathy