Old 26-06-2013, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default New garden bed

F Murtz wrote:
Can I mix grass killed a month ago with roundup into soil With tiller.
What to do with fresh sawdust, I have a lot, if it can not be used
fresh how do you rot it quickest.
If the new bed has 6" of green grass on it do I mow it first and
remove or just run the cultivator tiller over the lot (and the
aforementioned roundupped dead grass from elsewhere.Or roundup the
new bed, wait a week or two then cultivate ?
Now there is a muddled bunch of questions.

If you are converting a large area of lawn to garden, rent a sod cutter. Cut the
sod, and remove it to your compost or whereever. Then till the soil and any
compost or manure together. By removeing the sod carefully, you will remove the
growing grass and root, and all the weed seeds that have blown onto the grass
over the years, and you will end up with a much more weed free garden.