Old 27-06-2013, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default New garden bed

songbird wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Can I mix grass killed a month ago with roundup into soil With tiller.

yes, but why?

Just because I have some and I thought dead vegitation may be good for soil.

What to do with fresh sawdust, I have a lot, if it can not be used fresh
how do you rot it quickest.

depends upon where the sawdust comes from...

use it as a light mulch after planting, it won't
rot as fast on the surface, but that's ok, you
don't really want it to rot fast anyways (or see
below).

If the new bed has 6" of green grass on it do I mow it first and remove
or just run the cultivator tiller over the lot (and the aforementioned
roundupped dead grass from elsewhere.Or roundup the new bed, wait a week
or two then cultivate ?

cover it with a few layers of cardboard and then
put the sawdust on top of that to hold it down. in a
few months the grass will be dead. don't need to
dig it up or till it or remove it or disturb the
rest of the soil. eventually the worms will break
down the cardboard. to plant, put holes through
where you need to put seeds or plants and then
have at it.

the more you disturb the soil the more you will
move weed/grass/etc seeds around (and into the
germination zone).

Now there is a muddled bunch of questions.

good luck,

songbird