Old 27-06-2013, 07:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tallganglyplant

Danny D. wrote:
Worse. Purple *thorny* thistle weed!

And, I might add, the photos below should show why I've grown
to instantly hate pulling out this purple thorny thistle weed!

no need to pull any of it:

1. remove seed heads/flowers (these go into a hot
compost pile or can be thrown away).

2. hit it with a shovel edge to chop it off.

3. dig up the roots and leave them on the surface
to dry out for a few days/weeks (until crispy all
the way through), using a rake you can knock the
soil off the roots or shake the clumps so they are
exposed to the sun and air.

4. keep an eye out for ones you've missed.

5. bury it all down a foot or more.

songbird