Old 25-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Pat Meadows

Default How can you tell If you need to Dethatch?

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:47:08 -0400, "lbbs"
wrote:

I dug out a slice of grass, to inspect the thatch, but not sure how to
measure it. Is the thatch the roots of the grass? I shook off the dirt
from the sample and as far as I can tell there is at least 1/2 inch of root
thatch. Our law has not been dethatched in at least ten years. Those
that automatically mean I need to detach? We have lived hear for 2 years
and the previous owners did not spend too much time on the lawn care.
They never aerated or dethatched, just fertilized and mowed regularly.

So how does the lawn look? If it looks healthy, thriving,
nice and green - then I think you can safely assume that all
it needs is to be fertilized and mowed.

This is probably somewhat dependent on where you live, and
what kind of grass you have.

I know that I lived (in a rented place) in Delaware for
eight years and NOTHING whatsoever was ever done to the
grass except to cut it with a thatching mower. It looked
lovely when I moved in, it looked lovely when I left 8 years
later too.

Pat