Old 27-06-2013, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Splitting black bamboo

On 26/06/2013 22:12, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Just bought a black bamboo plant from a local garden centre at half price
- £17.50 for a large pot which isn't bad when a small pot of 'normal'
bamboo was £11.99.

Guy at the garden centre said it was worth trying to split it, before
planting up, as you can get several 'free' plants with luck.

So I Googled 'splitting bamboo'.

Apparently I need an assistant with very flexible legs and a relaxed
attitude.

However I am not sure quite how this helps me make new bamboo plants.

Blush

Cheers

Dave R

You may have to break or split the pot if it is potbound. The roots are
incredibly strong - they will be jammed tight inside a terracotta pot
and will easily deform a plastic pot. Once out, you may need a saw or
old bread knife to divide the plant.

Keep it well watered after replanting or repotting. You may find there
is very little soil left in the pot if the bamboo has been in there a
long time, so prewatering the old pot before division (which is often
recommended prior to splitting almost any plant) may not have much effect.

Some good info he
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/divide-...boo-71426.html

--

Jeff