Old 27-06-2013, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens
Danny D.[_5_] Danny D.[_5_] is offline

Default Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tallganglyplant

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 07:50:26 -0400, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Heading -- yes, cut off the flowers (purple) and buds (green).

Thanks for clarifying. I've never headed a plant before.

It seems that the seeds only last about 5 years, so, of the
noxious weeds I need to deal with, this one won't be too bad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirsium_vulgare

It *only* spreads by seed, and I can prevent that with heading.

Plus, it shows itself a year earlier (as the rosette), so I
*should* have pulled them last year - and then they would never
have gotten to this second-year stage.

Apparently I can eat the stems, but, the kitchen already has
mustard plants all over the counter, as I experiment with what