Old 27-06-2013, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens
Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl is offline

Default Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tall ganglyplant

Danny D. wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:32:42 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl
wrote:

Wouldn't shoveling it at the root base first to loosen it help out?

Yes.

Due to those spines, and the fact most people don't keep gas welding
gloves around the house, I don't recommend pulling them out anyway
if you're faced with a clump up to your thighs of this size or bigger:

For some reason, I had it in my mind to just yank them out (like I
do most weeds). It's only the *challenge of the gloves* that got me,
since I pride myself on finding the best garden-use gloves for the
lowest price I can locally (my hands are big so not all gloves fit).

I ended up soaking them with the garden hose, shoving the nozzle right
at the root, and going down, oh, about six inches, which allowed them
to be pulled out easily *with* very (very) thick (and long) gloves.

If you didn't have long and thick gloves (absolutely nothing in the
box stores would protect you); you'd resort to more mechanical means.

Even with excellent gloves and a good soaking, I had to dig at one
bull thistle clump with hand equipment, to get it out:

Based on my reading of the habits of bull thistle, it seems that
they only live two years, and that their seeds don't generally
travel all that far (only a few feet as they're very delicate).

So, had I headed the flowers, then I'd only have to worry about
these yearlings (which only form low-lying rosettes):

Those thorns are crazy!! I've seen something similar to those growing on
the side of the highway, but I don't think anyone cares to dig them up. lol

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\