Old 27-06-2013, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens
Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl is offline

Default Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tall ganglyplant

chaniarts wrote:
On 6/27/2013 8:32 AM, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:
Danny D. wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 06:43:21 -0700, Oren wrote:

And, a nasty purplish headress:

...purple thistle weed

Worse. Purple *thorny* thistle weed!

And, I might add, the photos below should show why I've grown
to instantly hate pulling out this purple thorny thistle weed!

1. I knew these dainty rubberized garden gloves didn't stand a
chance:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13419898.jpg 2. And, I
instantly realized these leather & cloth gloves wouldn't
work:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13419899.jpg 3. I
wasn't shocked when the thorns went right thru deerskin gloves:

4. But, I was surprised thick pigskin was no match for the thorns:

5. At the pressure you need to grasp & pull, even the thicker
cowhide gloves were painfully allowing thorns to puncture me:

6. I was almost out of options, when I grabbed my heavy gas
welding gloves - which hadn't been used in years, so they
were as stiff - and even they allowed a few thorns in - but
for the most part, they were the *only* gloves that weren't
too painful to use to grasp the thorny thistle plants tightly
enough to pull them out of the dry ground.

Rarely have almost *all* my gloves failed me - but, the thorny
purple thistle weed was a challenge that dared to be overcome!

Any neighbors must have looked at me oddly when I finally figured
out how to pull them out without bleeding, as I held them up in
the air in my gloved hand exalting in my thorny triumph!

Wouldn't shoveling it at the root base first to loosen it help out?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...,44822&p=54671
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...,40706&p=10418

Nice tools!

--