Old 27-06-2013, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Do we spray? Or don't we?

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:16:11 +0000, Baz wrote:

It seems to me that in order to have fresh homegrown fruit and
vegetables on the table it is sometimes neccessary to use some chemical
control.
This has been interpreted as pesticide, and yes I use pesticide when I
have to but not by any means my first line.
I would like to know how others in this group go about getting rid of
insects. For example my 2 cherry trees have been infested with blackfly
and I dowsed them with liquid soap to no avail and had to use Provaro in
the end. Problem solved. Likewise with whitefly on the brassicas and
moth on the peas.
In a nutshell, nothing seems to work. Just pesticide. That works.

Hi Baz,

I use the equivalent of Provado on new maple growth when aphids show up,
if I don't the growth is distorted and not vigorous. I only spray where
the infestation is too thick to pick off by hand, and only as needed. If
the maples are in flower, I don't spray.

I use glyphosate around the base of plantings and on the driveway. Also
fungicide when rot gets out of control, but avoid systemic or drenches as
that can easily disrupt the soil balance.

I've never been able to get rid of whitefly, only serious cold has done
it!

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy