Old 28-06-2013, 12:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default my id question

songbird said:

looks like legume, but the name given to me
by the person who gave me the plant does not
come up with anyting meaningful when i search...

"Baptista"

Baptisia australis, blue false indigo. A lovely perennial in
an informal flower border. Spreads by seed. Normally
not dead headed, because the pods are quite attractive and
the seedlings easily pulled. It is a North American native and
was the Perennial Plant Association 2010 Plant of the Year.

Does well in a wide range of soils but prefers lime-free,
well-drained soil.

Develops a tap root and doesn't transplant well--sulks for
a year or more when you do transplant, but very long-lived
once it's established.

I have a couple of clumps of Baptisia australis.

Also one plant of B. sphaerocarpa (yellow flowers) that I planted
this year, and a hybrid, Twilite Prairieblues (I think), which I
planted last year (didn't flower this spring, it's sulking).
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored