Old 28-06-2013, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Do we spray? Or don't we?

On 27/06/2013 22:20, kay wrote:
David Hill;986183 Wrote:

I just use insecticides when I have to, at present we have loads of lady
birds around so I am busy moving them around the place.
Things like red spider I do spray as soon as I see them, I can't wait
for biological thingies to arrive as they can take up to 10 days.
In the "Old days" we sprayed everything every 2 weeks, one week for
pests and the other with fungicide.

Indoors is a different matter. Red spider is less of a problem after the
6 wet summers we've had, which is fortunate, as it hasn't been warm
enough for the predators to be effective.

Unfortunately, the only effective spray against red spider mite
(Westland Plant Rescue Bug Killer Ornamental Plants) has been removed
from the market due to its thiamethoxam content. But, IMO, it was the
abamectin in it which was effective against RSM, not the thiamethoxam.
The latter, being a neonicotinoid, had little if any activity against
RSM as they seem to be resistant to neonics. Abamectin has some
systemic activity, so it can act on RSM which avoid the spray and then
feed on leaves sprayed with it.

I have emailed Westland to see if they have any plans to market an
alternative product containing abamectin.

--

Jeff