Old 28-06-2013, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Straw for Strawberries

thescullster wrote in
. uk:

Hi all

Using straw to raise stawberries off the ground seems to bring lots of
unwanted weeds into the garden.
This may be down to the source I suppose, a local pet supplies store.

Does anyone have any less troublesome ideas for alternative?

Thanks

Phil

Do you need to raise stawberries off the ground? Nobody I know does.
Netting them keeps birds off. Other than that I see no problems with mine.
Straw, if that is what it is described as, can be hay. Lots of weeds in it.

Baz