Old 28-06-2013, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Gooseberries

"kay" wrote in message ...

Bob Hobden;986234 Wrote:
Vicky wrote ...-

Bob Hobden wrote:-
When do you pick yours? I ask as I notice one of our allotment holders

has
picked most of theirs already before they are even fully grown let
alone
ripe and sweet. Why would they do that?-

Are you sure they don't have an earlier variety than yours?
Mine are huge but not ripe.

-
They were about the same size as mine and very green, like mine, at this

time. They did the same last year, I wonder what they do with them other

than spend a lot on sugar. I'll have to see if I can get the opportunity
ask. Ours won't be ripe and sweet for quite some weeks yet.
-

/I wonder if Sweet Cicely has the same effect on gooseberries as it does
/on rhubarb?

Bob's allotment neighbour may grow rhubarb or other fruits that are low in
pectin. Gooseberries are high in pectin.

For rhubarb jam, we add 10% gooseberries (halved). Red ones are best, they
look a bit like strawberry pieces:-
http://www.jamworld.co.uk/pec.html

--
kay