Old 29-06-2013, 01:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jeßus[_2_] Jeßus[_2_] is offline

Default New garden bed

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 18:20:26 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 14:49:21 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 03:35:30 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Can I mix grass killed a month ago with roundup into soil With tiller.

You could, but why on earth would you want to?
Why do you want to add roundup?
Ahhh... already dead grass. In that case I would use it for growing
food crops.

What to do with fresh sawdust, I have a lot, if it can not be used fresh
how do you rot it quickest.

Too much work/time to rot sawdust. Been there tried that.
Sawdust is good for growing acid-loving plants though, such as
Blueberries and Azaleas.

If the new bed has 6" of green grass on it do I mow it first and remove
or just run the cultivator tiller over the lot (and the aforementioned
roundupped dead grass from elsewhere.Or roundup the new bed, wait a week
or two then cultivate ?
Now there is a muddled bunch of questions.

Well, the question is what do you intend growing in this garden.

You need to keep in mind that roundup isn't safe and Monstanto's
claims of roundup breaking down safely in the soil has been proven to
be false, and has a lot of health related issues.

How many square metres is this garden going to be?

A few vegies, maybe jam melons,about 5 or 6 sq m.

That's an extremely small area, unless you have physical limitations,
you should be able to dig the grass out by hand?

Just getting ancient, that is why I got this small tiller cultivator.

Fair enough... this year is the first year I can feel myself beginning
to slow down a bit, but still can do all the work I want, just takes a
little longer

My main veggie patch is approx. 20 x20m², I also used a cultivator but
only after I hand dug the grass out of there first. I'm still digging
new runners out from time to time even after 3 years, the rye grass I
have here is really quite invasive but manageable.

Don't know how many gardens I will end up with, haven't had much success
where I have moved to so far (sort of southern highlands Sydney) , grew
some jam melons and punkins, Tons of flowers big and little, tried
polination with brush and ended up with one jam melon about 90 mm in dia
and one punkin oval about 90 x 150 mm, (supposed to be Halloween pumpkins).
planted a passion fruit about 3 seasons ago, nothing happened for ages
other than greenery but this year some fruit appeared just before
winter, grew full size and then have remained the same colour green for
the last month or so with no indication of changing colour and it is now
quite cold where I am.

You might be better off growing as if you were in Tassie, the climates
may be similar (at least during autumn/winter)? It's -6° here quite
regularly and the days max out around 12°... but can still grow plenty
of veggies, once you adapt to the conditions. Frost is both a friend
and foe here, depending on what you're growing.