Old 29-06-2013, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default About not feeding birds

On 29/06/2013 12:41, Janet wrote:
In article ,
lid says...

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 11:35:00 +0100, rbel wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 10:11:13 +0100, "Dave Smith"
wrote:

Article today in D Mail that it's not a good idea to feed birds during the
winter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2348635/Why-feeding-birds-winter-bad-Leaving-food-reduce-breeding-success-spring.html?ico=sciencetech^headlines

Having read the original paper when it was published last week I would
summarise it as an interesting but fairly limited study of one species
in a woodland environment. The focus was primarily on winter feeding
of fat supplements which had an apparent impact on reproductive and
fledgling success.

The possible causes for this were the survival through the winter of
potential parent birds who would not normally make it through to the
reproductive stage - thus poor reproductive success; insufficient
spring/summer food to support increased number of fledglings and
unbalanced diet resulting in imperfect eggs.

It did point out that all year round feeding could well reverse any
adverse impact and it did cite other research which indicated that
supplementary nuts led to increased fledgling success.

From watching the activity on our feeders there is no doubt that blue
tits tend to favour fat supplement over seed but also spend a lot of
time on the nut feeder.

Our tits gave low priority to the fat and went for the seeds. The fat
was only eaten when there were no seeds left. They are very fussy
about which seeds they will eat.

This could be a reflection on the quality/variety/age of the fat/seeds
offered.
We find that blue, coal and great tits are all avid feeders on
fatballs (with seed in)and right now, all their young are feeding there
too.

Janet.

If my "vultures" are anything to go by they eat almost everything that
is put out for them.
As I have said before I make my own bird food, Tesco value whole meal
bread (crumbed) dripping, Porridge oats and wild bird food seed mix from
the Range.
Apart from visiting adults I am feeding around a dozen families, as
foster dad I am left to look after and feed the children whilst Mum and
Dad are off having yet another family.
Yesterday was a record day, over lunch (Mine as well as theirs) I
counted 19 birds on the feeding station at one time with a lot more in
the sou rounding bushes and tees coming and going, with 9 birds in one
feeding station, and through all the chaos a greater spotted woodpecker
kept feeding oblivious to the sou rounding clamour.
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay.

Please note I made no reference to my great tits (something to do with
years of Zantac I believe)