Old 29-06-2013, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Window box in shade?

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 13:15:19 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 29/06/2013 11:27, Jilly wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 21:25:59 +0100, David Hill
wrote:
On 27/06/2013 21:20, Judith in England wrote:

We have a window that is on the north side and would like to try

a box
for flowers - any suggestions for ones that will do well in shade?

You don't say if it is to be seasonal or all year round.

Seasonal.

In the past I would have said Impatiens, but with all the mildew problems.
I don't know how the |New Guinea ones do in shade.

I have a north facing wall with several planters on it. New Guineas,
dwarf bedding dahlias (the type you get in 6-packs), all the foliage
trailers (some of which have miniscule flowers), French marigolds (but
not the larger types), lobelias, begonias (fibrous and tuberous) all
do well.

New Guineas, in particular, are happily shade-loving.

--
Cheers, Jake