Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default my id question

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 30/06/2013 06:03, Farm1 wrote:

Yes, I just read the other response and that has me very excited. I need
some of that plant. Wonder why it's got the 'australis' on the end of a
native American plant?

Used as a specific name, "australis" simply means "southern". It is a
latin term. You will probably be familiar with the "Aurora Borealis", or
"Northern lights". On the other side of the equator, they are known as
"Aurora Australis" - the "Southern lights".

Yes, I know all of that.

I would guess there were other Baptisias which were discovered first, and
were found further north than Baptisia australis.

That makes sense but rather lame as a way of naming a plant. 'This Baptisia
is from further south than the other Baptisias'.