Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_10_] View Post
We've just destroyed the first nest of the year. The cheeky devils were
taking over a bird box hanging in the courtyard outside the tea room's
back door. It would have been a nightmare for everyone! However, the
pest controller did warn me that they love the sort of humid weather
we've had and that the professionals think this is going to be a bad
year for wasps. Or a good year, if you're a wasp, I suppose!
Not seen a single wasp yet here in Bucks. I wouldn't have thought the cold March was very good for them, but perhaps it wasn't so cold for you then.

In general there aren't many insects of any description around, though the late flowering of my fruit trees resulted in good pollination - the trees that have no fruit - pears and damson - had no flowers to pollinate. But the apples and peach are well endowed. My grape vine is flowering even later than last year, its July and the flowers aren't open yet. Hope there is enough time to ripen the fruit.