Old 01-07-2013, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Snap! - another one gone. Stailness or mild steel the best for forks?

On Sunday, June 30, 2013 6:04:00 PM UTC+1, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Just broke a stainless steel Spear and Jackson border fork.

It broke where the stainless steel handle joins the fork head.

This is the second SS fork I have broken - the other was from Screwfix

where I broke a tine.

Now I don't recall any similar failure with non-SS tools.

So I assume that SS is very good at stopping soil sticking, and also rust,

but this is at the expense of brittle steel.

Just checked and my only remaining garden fork (a really old Spear and

Jackson non-SS one) is down at the allotment.

So a purchasing opportunity, I suppose.

Anyone recommend some really robust garden tools?

Cheers

Dave R

Funny, I've got an S & J s/s border fork that underwent a great deal of abuse while I was making this garden and it's still fine (Including handle).
I usually find the handles break before anything else but I can easily replace those.
But then I'm only 8st not 13 and I have a pick axe which I do use but very rarely.
Rod