Old 25-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Larry Caldwell

Default Bosworth and the Sierra Nevada Framework (Long)

(mhagen) writes:

Our el nino weather pattern looks like it will give us a late wet spring
- that makes it tough for burn bosses since underburns may still be
cooking when the shift to full summer happens. Its a good time for
commercial thinning. Too bad prices are so low.

I managed some underbrush burning in March. We had a couple weeks of
nice dry weather, followed by a day of a nice breeze, so I torched a
brush line of blackberries that I sprayed out last year. Whoosh. I had
flames 20' high, and may have unintentionally cooked a few trees.
There are some toasty branches, but all of them still have green crowns.
I'm hoping they survive. I would never have the nerve to burn later in
the year.

It is nice that the fuel is gone. I didn't get it all, since there was
plenty that was just too wet to burn, but now the brush line looks more
like a fire break than a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't follow timber prices, but if prices bump, post a heads up here,
would you? I would love to do some thinning, but can't afford it in this
market.

TIA

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc