Old 01-07-2013, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Snap! - another one gone. Stailness or mild steel the best forforks?

In article ,
lid says...

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 09:37:32 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,

says...

On 30/06/2013 21:55, kay wrote:
Martin Brown;986603 Wrote:

Mine failed digging up nettle roots. YMMV

That's how I broke a tine on mine. So I bought a new one, and now have a
two-tined fork (yes, I broke another one) for nettle digging and a
four-tined fork for general work.

Still find the stainless steel invaluable for the spade - much less
stickiness.

The stainless steel gardening tools I have purchased come with a
lifetime guarantee. Take it back to the purchase point and tell them it
was not up to the job. You can but try. As an aside, how valuable are
these "life time" guarantees? whose lifetime yours or the product?

My kitchen pans bought in 1984 have a "lifetime guarantee" that
probably won't mean much because the company was taken over. OTOH, 29
years later they are still perfect (while I'm showing some wear and tear
despite several repairs) so their lifetime could well exceed their
owner.

and if you were to claim from the retailer?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006...rrights.legal4

Retailers are answerable to the Sale of Goods Act; they are not
liable for manufacturers' extended warranties which exceed the
requirements of the SOGA.

My pans are self evidently, "fit for intended purpose" (as per SOGA)
so the retailer is (long) in the clear.

Janet.