Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil Cook Phil Cook is offline

Default Snap! - another one gone. Stailness or mild steel the best forforks?

On 30/06/2013 19:54, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 18:51:39 +0100, David Hill wrote:

On 30/06/2013 18:04, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Just broke a stainless steel Spear and Jackson border fork.

It broke where the stainless steel handle joins the fork head.

What are you doing with them?
Trying to leaver out rocks ?

No, just trying to dig some oldish shrubs out of a very dry border.

I have come to expect to be able to lean my full weight on a spade or fork
and either something to move or the fork or spade to flex.

Before you ask, my full weight is just under 13 stone and has been a bit
higher for the last 30 years or so.

So not an unreasonable load.

I would say that /is/ an unreasonable load. If you are wanting to
heave something out with that much force get a crowbar.
--
Phil Cook